Back & Neck Community
Loss of Balance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Loss of Balance

Hello Dr. My name is Brewster125 and my question is with my neck. 30th January 09 i had a prolapse disc operation done in C5/6 region. There was a block put in and fusion done. I have started doing gym work and find i have no balance on my r/h side, same side as the op. Would they be related or is the balance problem from some other cause. Thank-you for your consideration. Brewster125
Clarification:  There are no medical doctors participating in this forum at this time.  Support and assistance is provided by individuals experiencing similar problems related to possible abnormalities of the spine. (Please read Welcome Letter)

You are still fairly early in your fusion recovery.  Remember that it can take up to 8 months to a year for full fusion to occur.  If your surgeon has placed any continuing restrictions on your activity level (ie no lifting greater than 50 pounds), they should be followed.
I am a post cervical fusion C4-C7 and have not experienced any problems with loss of balance.  Exactly how is this loss of balance presenting itself?  Does it occur only after certain activities or changes in position?  Is it accompanied by dizziness or vertigo?
Are you continuously aware of balance problems?
Although there may be no direct relationship of balance problems with the fusion surgery, it would be beneficial to report any new and continuing symptoms to your physician/surgeon.  It is very important to avoid any type of traumatic injury such as a fall that could adversely affect the fusion process.
Post with an update and any additional questions/concerns you may have.
Best wishes ---
I can tell you about my problem with dizzyness (spelling).  When I wrecked on my motorcycle, I found that after I started moving around that I had dizzy spells and like my equalibrium was off.  It was really bad, to where I would fall down almost - someone would always catch me before I crashed.  But, the doctor's found out that it was because I had "rocks in my head". Inside of my eardrum - everyone's ear drum- there are little crystals way deep down inside, and they are what give us our balance.  Well they are stationary and fixed so to say, they dont move around.  Well, with any kind of trauma or even moving your head the wrong way or sometimes for no reason at all they can break loose, even just one can break loose and become free floating and inside where the crystals are fixed, there are little tiny microscopic hairs and when the crystal that is free floating rubs against the hairs, it causes you to have dizzy spells and makes your equalibrium go katywompus.
montanagurl
Hello girls, Brewster here and thank-you for your helpful information. My balance problem    
may not be from surgery but has not raised it's ugly head until now. I have started light gym work as part of my rehab and when i do lunges i find it really hard to keep upright. Ithe operation was to the right side of my neck and so the loss of balance is to the right side. Coincidence?. Pain is minimal so far and exercise is coming on fine so hoefully all is well except the balance problem. Thank-you once again, have a nice day. Brewster125