Lots of problems
I have had a stiff neck for well over a year and every doctor I went to didn't help at all. I can barely turn my neck to the right or left. I need to turn my whole body. My sternocleidomastoid muscle becomes incredibly tense even when I do just a minor turn. Also I need to crack my neck a lot or I will feel uncomfortable. Everyday I have been trying to improve my neck by doing neck rolls etc. And when I turn my neck to the right or left I need to push my head with my hand to keep it parallel to the ground. If I don't then my head is at an angle when I turn my head. Just turning my head to look at something, my neck makes a lot of cracks.
     I don't know if this is related, but I found out that my right shoulder is pushed inward towards my chest. I think this is because I always sleep on that side most of the time. I mostly think that all these problems occur due to  the way I sleep. I don't understand why when I sleep on my side, I get a stiff neck and all these problems and others do not.
That sounds terrible! When you go to the doctor ask to have an xray , MRI, or CT scan. Make sure to mention the weakness when turning your head. Your problems sound serious and shouldn't be ignored. I doubt it's from sleeping on one side all the time.

Good luck!
Amy
If you thnk that it's the way you sleep then you'll find this information very useful - http://bit.ly/3HA4Lk   You should also take care that the stretches and rolls you are doing are appropriate for your problem as these could be aggravating the muscles. You may want to consult someone like a chiropractor for advice on tackling the pain and stiffness, they should also be able to advise on stretches you can do safely.  
Thanks for the help, but can anyone give me tips to relieve muscle tension on my sternocleiodmastoid muscle. I believe that this is the main problem. It is tense daily.