Back & Neck Community
Low Back Pain - Lactic Acid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Low Back Pain - Lactic Acid

I have been suffering from back pain for years.  I have DDD and spinal narrowing in the canals.  But for the last four days I have suffered the absolute most painful thing in my low back.  I went to a physical therapist and yesterday went to a massage specialist who said I have a lot of lactic acid built up in the painful area.  I literally can't twist or bend.  Getting up off the bed or couch make me scream in pain.  I am pretty tough and deal with pain on a daily basis but this is something different.  What exactly is lactic acid and how can it cause this much pain?
Hi and sorry you are in so much pain,
I have lactic acid build up due to atrophy and I have pain but it is moderate (about a 6/10). I wonder did you have an MRI recently? Perhaps you restrained your back and it is a muscle spasm?  I can't twist or bend either and so can't put my shoes on or anything for the last year. I have been sittng too much due to pain and apparently lactic acid builds up and causes more pain.  By the amount of pain you have it doesn't sound like just lactic acid buildup. Have you been sitting for a long time before this? I think I would go to an orthopedic surgeon and see if they will give you another  recent MRI.
hope this helps,
mkh9
I think a new mri would be good.  I have been sitting long hours at the computer.It feels like my back i locked in a certaikn positon.  Been trying to move as much as possilbe so it does not get tighter.  

I feel for you as I'm fighting really hard to get back to normal and it is so hard mentally and physically. You have to take the lead in your own heath.
mkh9