Back & Neck Community
Lower Chest and Back Pain "dull achy"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Lower Chest and Back Pain "dull achy"

Hi everyone, I am new to this fourm and have a quick question. For the past several weeks I have had some dull achy pain on my sternum only when I flex my chest and dull pain in my mid to lower back. My job is very physically demanding and i really do not have any down time to rest. Sometimes when i breath in deeply I get a dull pain in the center of my chest. I get the pain also when I flex my back and chest. I do believe it is pulled muscles because other wise I do not feel bad. I am 20 years old, I do smoke, which worries me that there is something more wrong then just pulled muscles. I do have an anxiety disorder which really does not make this any better. The pain is worse in the morning after waking up after resting, but once I start moving around the pain gets less and less but i can still feel it. I believe it is strained muscles in my chest and back but i just really need a second opinion. I did go to the doctors a couple months ago and said that I may have acid reflux so there are alot of things going against me. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Tom
Hi Tom,
I am actually going through the same and have identical issues as you anxiety and physically demanding job on top of school. I find my issues happen when I have improper posture for long periods of time. Good shoes help and I am going to see a massage therapist as well. On top of all that I really watch how I am lifting and when I feel any body part straining I ease up and use more strength from my opposite side. Strength training may help as well. I am not 100% sure but think these issues have to do with stress and tension. Smoking is the worst since it adds to my anxiety! Hope this brings some insight although I would definitely look into it more in case it is something more serious. Take care.
Amanda
Hi there Amanda,

As I was reading your post and the older post from "Tom", one thing came to my mind:  you guys are suffering from GERD/acid reflux.

Symptoms from GERD:  back pain!  chest pain along the sternum.

Your risk factors:  Anxiety, stress, smoke and sleeping on your left side or flat on your back and different foods that can also aggrevate it.

One way of testing my theory:  try OTC Zantac or Gaviscon in the morning and before going to bed and watch what you eat for a while, and see if your symptoms improve!  Then you will know if the pains come from muscles/spine or if it comes from your Stomach and Esophagus!

I hope that my info helps.
Thanks smiley2000. I have never really thought of that but is a great idea to be sure I will give Gavison or OCT Zantac a try and see if the symptoms subside.  Thanks again :)
I am glad I could help :) please let me know how you are doing!  would be interesting to see if it was all GERD related.

Take care :)