Lower Chest and Back Pain "dull achy"
Hi everyone, I am new to this fourm and have a quick question. For the past several weeks I have had some dull achy pain on my sternum only when I flex my chest and dull pain in my mid to lower back. My job is very physically demanding and i really do not have any down time to rest. Sometimes when i breath in deeply I get a dull pain in the center of my chest. I get the pain also when I flex my back and chest. I do believe it is pulled muscles because other wise I do not feel bad. I am 20 years old, I do smoke, which worries me that there is something more wrong then just pulled muscles. I do have an anxiety disorder which really does not make this any better. The pain is worse in the morning after waking up after resting, but once I start moving around the pain gets less and less but i can still feel it. I believe it is strained muscles in my chest and back but i just really need a second opinion. I did go to the doctors a couple months ago and said that I may have acid reflux so there are alot of things going against me. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks Tom
Hi Tom,
I am actually going through the same and have identical issues as you anxiety and physically demanding job on top of school. I find my issues happen when I have improper posture for long periods of time. Good shoes help and I am going to see a massage therapist as well. On top of all that I really watch how I am lifting and when I feel any body part straining I ease up and use more strength from my opposite side. Strength training may help as well. I am not 100% sure but think these issues have to do with stress and tension. Smoking is the worst since it adds to my anxiety! Hope this brings some insight although I would definitely look into it more in case it is something more serious. Take care.
Amanda
Hi there Amanda,

As I was reading your post and the older post from "Tom", one thing came to my mind:  you guys are suffering from GERD/acid reflux.

Symptoms from GERD:  back pain!  chest pain along the sternum.

Your risk factors:  Anxiety, stress, smoke and sleeping on your left side or flat on your back and different foods that can also aggrevate it.

One way of testing my theory:  try OTC Zantac or Gaviscon in the morning and before going to bed and watch what you eat for a while, and see if your symptoms improve!  Then you will know if the pains come from muscles/spine or if it comes from your Stomach and Esophagus!

I hope that my info helps.
Thanks smiley2000. I have never really thought of that but is a great idea to be sure I will give Gavison or OCT Zantac a try and see if the symptoms subside.  Thanks again :)
I am glad I could help :) please let me know how you are doing!  would be interesting to see if it was all GERD related.

Take care :)