Back & Neck Community
Lower back & leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Lower back & leg pain

I’m 36 year old and I have had four back surgeries. I had stenosis in the L4-S1 area and that was my first surgery. Thought that fixed the problem. But after 6 months of recover I was back to my doctor saying I was in horrible pain again. So he order another MRI and a EMG and found that I had a bulging disc between L4-L5. So my second surgery was he went in and trimmed the bulge out once again I thought cool he fixed it. Wrong about three months later I was back in the emergency room because it was the weekend and I couldn’t even stand. So once again I went back to the doctor. He again ordered another MRI and an EMG and found that I had the same disc bulging again. I went back in for surgery for the third time but before the surgery I asked him please can you fuse the two disc together so I don’t have any more problems with it in that spot. He told me NO because I was too young. So when I was in the hospital after my surgery the Respiratory therapy people came in to have me do breathing exercises, well I started  coughing and had hurt my back I was in horrible pain so the house doctor ordered an MRI and they found I had hurt the disc my doctor just fixed I was very upset. They sent in another doctor which was from the office of my doctor because my doctor was on vacation after he was done with my surgery. I again asked well begged this doctor to fuse my back together. He also refused to do so. Oh did I say that I had a blood clot break lose in my back and I had to have a catheter because I couldn’t go to the bathroom do to the disc I guess I don’t know but I couldn’t urinate on my own without it. Anyway after my last surgery I was put on social security disability because it still didn’t help. I am in horrible pain my legs are numb and now my arm is starting to go numb both my legs and my arm feel like they have fallen to sleep and haven’t wake up yet I can feel my arms and legs there just tingly. I don’t have insurance until March because of the wait for Medicare I guess you have to be on social security for two years before you can get insured for some reason. Well my question is am I to young to have my back fused together. I have been taking pain meds such as Dilaudid and muscle relaxers they take away some of the pain but not all. I have also gone through physical therapy and was in my pain then when I started. I am now going to college full time so maybe I can get a job that I can do again “a sit down job” Any way what can I do once I get insurance again. Now I have a hernia in my belly button, I don’t know if has anything to do with my back But I think it does.  Please help me I don’t know what to do or where to turn.
Thank You
Mark
Hello, I have had lower back pain for the past 19 years, but i was able to control it quite effectively with out having to go thru a surgery since about 8 years now. What i did for my bulging/herniated Disc is to have cupping Therapy performed on it ( Hijama in Arabic ). And i learned also thru the years that rubbing my back on a daily basis with either olive oil alone or in combination with camphor oil, and sometimes i substitute that with clove oil and mint oil and that helps quite a bit in not only relieving the pain, but the olive oil works as an anti-inflammatory as well, and has phenols which help rebuild the degenrative cells around the lumbar area to accelerate the healing. All the best. Mahmoud