Back & Neck Community
Lower back pain on left side and down leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

For over 6 months now I've been experiering pain in my lower left back in between my side and my spine.  It's like a sharp stabbing pain that will occur every now and then.  I've also had constant pain in my calf right above my knee. This pain has seemed to have gotten better over time but I'm now having pain in my lower left leg as well. It's like a pins and needles feeling.  My legs also get alot of cramps.  I've brought this up to my doctor several times and he just seems to blow me off.  I sit at a desk all day and I try to walk on my breaks.  I also try to exercise but with the pain in my leg sometimes I just don't feel like it.  I'm wondering is this a sign of sciatica or a herniated disk?  I was walking through Walmart the other day pushing the cart and all of a sudden I got an intense pain across my whole lower back. It felt as if my back was going to give out!   I'm wondering about seeing a chiropractor or maybe I should just go back to the doctor??  I'm only 34 I shouldn't be feeling so bad all the time!
Hi and sorry you have low back pain. It does sound like the sciatic nerve is affected (they call it sciatica). You should try NSAID's if you can like 1 Aleve a day if you have no health problem where can't take them, and just walk but don't do too much lifting until it lessens. Unfortuately back pain can hit people in their 20's on up and maybe even younger. I personally would't 'trust a  chiropractor, they usually end up hurting you more than they help. You could see an orthopedic surgeon to see if they think it is sciatica or a bulging disc. Usually, either syndrome will pass after the inflammation goes down. They can give you temporary pain meds or meds to help with the nerve pain but it sounds like you are getting along ok. Later you may want to see a physical therapist that is recommended to you to stretch and strengthen your back. I hesitate to recommend PT because I was injured badly by one. They are all different.and some are too aggressive or just don't know what they are doing and act like they do, trust me. I may have sciatica too although they call it myofascial pain syndrome or some think SI joint dysfunction but the pain starts in the buttock and goes down the back of my leg to the outside of the knee and back down the calf. No one has acknowledged that. Oh well, I'm walking a little more each day and trying to get past this too. I hope this helps.