Back & Neck Community
Lumbar MRI results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Lumbar MRI results

Can anyone shed some light on my lumbar MRI results:

Vertebrate alignment is anatomic.

T12-L1: Normal
L1-L2: Disk is decreased in signal intensity. Increased marrow signal abutting the superior L2 superior endplate anterioty is consistent with DDD or prior trauma
L-L3: Normal
L3-L4: Disk is decreased in signal intensity:  Mild Central canal stenosis
L4-L5: Disk is decreased in height and signal intensity.  There is a 2-mm disk bulge/protusion with associated high signal consistent with an annular tear.
L5-S1: Normal
I am not sure about these MRI's but i just had one done and have 3 herniated disks. One measured 10x10x18 and one 12mm. Your's says 2 mm right?
with regards to your MRI SCAN i cAN GIVE YOU SOME INFO.in general you have a narrowing in your spine .in the bit where the nerves go {thats why you may have some leg pain].Also you have DDD this is simalar to Arthritus it may give you pain but not always. you have a small slipped disk ay L4/L5.
I take it from your results you are 30 + in years?
are you male?
have you had an op yet?
as a person who has had two ops on his back i would advise AGAINGT it if you can!!
i had my first op in 1996 it was a L4/L5 this was a laminectomy i got a good result for about 2 years but ever since i have been in pain
my last op was in nov 07
i had a re op of L4/L5 and a diskectomyat S1 and a nerve decompression at L5
i have been HOUSEBOUND SINCE!!!!! due to pain i am in a mess
i take oxycodone and i have an electronic pain device on me all the time
good look come and join the www.spine health .com    ITS a live chat room for ppl with back and neck problems i go as MURPHY as my screen name
see you there STRAKER
Thanx guys, I am 45 and had a lot of strain on my lumbar spine during my last career(15 years as street cop).  I am feeling much better.  I went to a Ortho Specialist and he refred me to a great PT facility.  A lot of new stretching routines, massages and ice have relieved most of my pain.  I have not taken any pain med's for the past month.  I am very hopeful I will be back to 100% soon.  I've learned PT facilities come in many levels.  I went to another PT faciltiy in the past for two months and it yielded absolutely nothing. Be cautious of any PT facility which pushes a lot of time hooked up to machines(electrical stimulation, Ultrasound, and heat pads).  Physical Therapist should give you lot of one on one attention.  

My t-spine and cervical MRI's were clear.  I guess I am very lucky because I have two problem areas in my lumber spine.  The Physical Therapist said my lumbar spine is fairly typical for someone my age.  

Thanx for your comment and take care.