Back & Neck Community
Lumbar MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Lumbar MRI

I recently got my x-ray and MRI results and was referred to a surgeon I have to see in a few days.  I don't know what they're going to say so I'm asking what you think of my MRI Results.
FINDINGS: Examination of the lumbar spine shows normal alignment. There is a mild disc desiccation seen at the lower thoracic levels and also at the L1-2 disc space.
At the T12-L1 disc space level, there is left sided herniation seen laterally at the canal measuring 4 x 12mm in AP and transverse dimension. There is localized mass effect upon the thecal sac
At the L1-2 level, there is subligmentous herniation with a small annular tear at the midline. There is no evidence of stenosis.
The L2-3 level is unremarkable.
The L3-4 and L4-5 levels show no herniation or protrusion. (My x-ray showed narrowing at L3-4 though)
At the L5-S1 level, there is minimal disc bulge. There is no sponylolysis.
IMPRESSION:
1. There is a left sided disc herniation seen laterally at the canal and proximally at the left neural foramen at the T12-L1 disc space.
2. At the L1-2 level, there is a small subligamentous herniation seen at the midline and minimally at the paramedian. There is no stenosis.
3. There is a minimal disc bulge seen at the L5-S1 disc space.

Any ideas what this finding means for me?