Back & Neck Community
Lumbar fusion and prednisone
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lumbar fusion and prednisone

I had a lumbar L4-L5 fusion in June.  I had a few really good months wondering what took me so long.  After that my low back pain came back.  Different than before, but equally as painful.  I could hardly straighten up after bending, even slightly, couldn't walk or sit for long.  I was crawling in bed at night.  I've been back to the neurosurgeon and he has sent me for a CT, then a myelogram with CT, with both results showing a good fusion.  I had degenerative disc disease but new tests can't indicate where the 'pain' is coming from at this point.  I went through pain managment before the surgery with no help.  Now the Dr wants to send me back to the pain manageent.  After my last visit I was given a weeks worth of prednisone.  I feel 75% better.  I am so cared this will leave as I took my last dose yesterday.  My back feels better, I have energy, I can even use the bathroom.  It is like my whole system changed.    I am just tired of going and paying a huge co-pay to see the 'PA' when I expect to see the surgeon and to be told to take another test.  Try this....etc.  
I am only 40.  Any ideas?  Advice?  Is prednisone a magic pill?  Thanks