Lump on upper spine where shoulders meet my neck
Hello Everyone,

This morning I discovered a lump located directly on top of my spine that is right where my shoulders meet my neck. It was not there yesteday evening so it essentially appeared overnight. The lump is hard, and is about the size of a marble. I can sort of move it back and forth but other than that it stays put. I am not experiencing any sort of pain or discomfort, and I can really only see the lump when I am looking down and trying to epose it.

Let me give you some background info so that you can better understand the situation and help me figure out what may be wrong.

I am 23 years old and just began a job as a contractor. I was very active in college and now find I am sitting at a desk messing with excel for 8 hours a day. I still lift weights and run around five days per week. I have been working with the firm now for a month.

Yesterday, as I am sure you are well aware, D.C. experienced an awful shooting massacre. The building I work in is several blocks away from where all of that was going down, therefore I was sort of stressed out yesterday. I have a very laid back personality and very few things stress me out, but yesterday, naturally, I was quite stressed.

My freshman year in college I went through the less than pleasurable experience of contracting mono. Because of that, I may be susceptible to things others are not normally at risk to.

In my mind there can be three causes for this. 1) Poor posture with working at a desk 8 hours a day; 2) stress related; 3) mono related.

As I said it was not there last night and was there this morning when I was changing for work. I would really appreciate any and all help.

***I uploaded a picture of it but it is hard to tell from that picture. I was just hoping you could use it as a point of reference.

Thanks,
B.
Hi!
If the swelling come at night (or even if it was there before and you noticed today), then it can either be a cyst, a swollen lymph node, a repeated muscle pull or strain due to faulty sleeping procedure, or a vein or artery swelling like an aneurysm. Maybe you positioned the pillows in such a way that there is a push on some muscles causing swelling of the muscles. It can also be a protruded C7 spine due to wrong posture. It can also be a lipoma or a neurofibroma (collection or nerve and fibrous tissue). Please show this to a doctor once so that a diagnosis can be made. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.