Back & Neck Community
Luschka Joint Spurring & Transverse Disc Protrusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am a 47 year old female that has had constant neck and back pain for the last 8 years.  Have alot of swelling at the back of the neck and on the right side.  Have an appt with neurosurgeon on June 14th.  Have questions concerning MRI results.  Was told that I have 4 bulging discs in the neck and arthritis.  Results:  There is some Luschka joint spurring, left greater than right at C3-C4 with minimal ventral thecal sac indentation.  Luschka joint spurring and some transverse disc protrusion at C4-C5 with minimal ventral thecal sac indentation.  Luschka joint spurring and transverse disc protrusion at C5-C6 with moderate ventral thecal sac indentation.  Bilateral Luschka joint spurring at C6-C7 and some transverse disc protrusion with moderate ventral thecal sac indentation and minimal left and mild right foraminal compromise.  I am in alot of pain and my left hand has been numb for several weeks.  Is it a bulging disc or bone spurs?  I don't understand the results and won't see the doctor for several weeks.  Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated.
This MRI report is confusing. It's almost like a few sentences are missing. I think your disc bulges are causing the thecal sac indentation, which by the way doesn't generally cause symptoms.

Luschka joint spurring commonly causes narrowing of the intervertebral foramen, which in turn causes compression of the nerve roots. At C6-7 you might have a combination of the disc protrusion and the bones spurs causing the foraminal narrowing. I had a lot of problems at C6-7, are you getting any electric stabbing pain in your arm or hand, is your whole hand numb, or just certain fingers? Is your back pain on the same side as your neck pain, and do you have a history of low back problems?
Thanks for your reply.  Glad to hear that I am not the only one confused by this report.  I do have a history of low back problems and the problems are not limited to one side.  My left hand is numb - not my fingers.