Back & Neck Community
MRI -help me understand what this means.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had a transabdominal anterior discectomy at L4-5 and a transabdominal anterior interbody fusion at L4-5 with insertion of titanium cages at L4 L-5.  This was from degenerative disk disease. This was 12 years ago. My most recent MRI says L-2-L3  
Diffuse disc bulge and minor canal stenosis.
L-3 -L-4 Diffuse disc bulge and mild canal stenosis and bilateral lateral recess stenosis and ligament flavum hypertrophy.  Additionally there is mild right neuroforaminal narrowing.  My right heel, side of my right foot and three toes are numb with tingling going up and down my leg into my hip area.  Had a lot of pain in the back thigh but that is better after resting for 7 weeks. I am a 58 year old female.  What do these MRI results mean?
The disc between you L-3 and L-4 is bulging, the space that your nerves go through is becoming narrow and the ligaments in your vertebrae are loose.  Neuroforaminal narrowing means the area the nerves exit out of the canal is also narrowing. The pain, numbness and tingling is due to the disc bulging causing the nerves to be compressed. You more than likely need another surgery to decompress the nerve before the damage to the nerve becomes more severe and you are left with permanent nerve damage. If surgery in not possible you will want to be very, VERY careful and follow the advice of your surgeon. Best wishes, Sissie
Hi!
The areas which are affected—right heel, side of right foot and three toes and leg going up to hip are areas mainly supplied by the S1 and L5 root. So the nerve compression should be L5 and S1 due to a L4-L5 , L5-S1 pathology. According to your MRI there is diffuse disc bulge and canal stenosis or narrowing (canal through which nerves pass) in L3-L4, which right now is not causing any symptoms. However, the L5 nerve is being compressed in the area that had undergone surgery. Also, the S1 root is being compressed which is not reported in the MRI.  Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
There is also a picture on my profile you may find helpful. It is a nerve conduction chart. It will explain the numbness better ect better than anything. Sorry I forgot to post about it earlier. Best wishes, Sissie
Thanks for the help on my MRI results.  I will keep the chart for future use.
I also worked at two tornado cleanups and one hurricane.  Those folks need all the help they can get.  God bless you.
I am seeing my original surgeon on May 8th.  Is the possible nerve root compression at L5 S-1 not showing on the MRI because of the titanium cages and fusion?  Thank you for your help.  I feel pain, pressure in the right buttock area when walking and as soon as I stand still with weight on both feet, the tingling and numbness just goes up and down the whole leg and into the buttock.  Also when I bend forward, the same thing happens.  Also have a nagging lower backache after being on my feet for a couple of hours.  This has been going on for years and years.  I just thought I had a "weak back".  Sitting down relieves the pain. Or a back brace. It sure will help to go to my doctor with as much information as I can get ahead of time.
You are welcome that is the best chart I have ever seen personally. Yes the tornado clean up was horrible. The worst part was the people not having food and the entire town being shut down due to damage. It is great that you have helped other victims also. The results are devastating to everyone. God bless you for helping. Best wishes, Sissie