MRI OF THE CERVICAL SPINE
Hi, I hope you can help me better understand my MRI results I just received.  Its at follows:

Sagittal and axial T1 and T2 weighted images of the cervical spine were obtained.  The study is compared to the prior examination of 12/22/01.

The cord is normal in thickness and signal.  There is no cord lession or abnormality of the craniovertebral junction.  

On the T2 weighted images there is mild diffuse loss of the disc signal related to degenerative disc disease more marked at C-6-7 and C5-6 where there is also loss of disc height.  There is straightening of the cervical curvature.

At C6-7, there is a small central and bilateral disc herniatin partly covered by an osteophyte and mildly deforming the sac.

Again seen is the bulging disc at C5-6.

At C4-5, there is a small subligamentous central and slightly left-sided disc herniation mildly deforming the sac.

The remaining disc levels are unremarkable.  There is no marrow replacement or spinal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:  There is degenerative disc disease with now the presence of a central and bilateral disc herniation at C6-7 partly covered by an osteophyte and deforming thesac with a small subligamentous central and slightly left-sided disc herniation at C4-5 mildlyy deforming the sac and a minimal disc bulge at C5-6.

There is no marrow replacement or stenosis.

**CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME WITH A BETTER UNDERSTANDING?**  Would you recommend going to physical therapy or to a chiropractor?  

Thank you.
Absolutely NO CHIRO!! You have a disc herniation/bulging discs. If you receive chiro treatment, you could worsen the condition, up to and including paralysis at the C56 or C6-7 level. The osteophytes mentioned are bone spurs. Are you having symptoms? Rather than an ortho, you should take these films and results to a neuro-surgeon for an evaluation, especially if you hav symptoms of numbness, tingling, and pain.He can suggest appropriate physical therapy. Good luck, hope this helps you some.