Back & Neck Community
MRI findings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

MRI findings

I just got back the results of my MRI's: the cervical spine shows
Bifida spinous process at C3.
C3-4 chronic moderate left facet osteoarthropathy and endplate spurring. moderate narrowing left foramen.
C4-5 mild chronic left facet osteoarthropathy narrowing of the left foramen.
Hemangioma replaces the T5 vertebra.
C6-7 right posterior endplate spurring.  right disc osteophyte complex naris the right paracentral canal. right uncinate spurring.
Lumbar spine findings:
a small hemangioma left posterior vertebra L1
1 cm hemangioma L4. vertebra.
L3-4 posterior disc bulge. right facet at L 3-4 a small effusion
L 4-5 disc disiccation; 7mm x2 mm central protrusion with disc tear
L4-5,L5-S-1 moderate hypertrophic bilateral facet osteoarthropathy. synovial thickening  marginating posterior right facet L5-S-1.
effusion right facet L3-4.
Can someone tell me what that means.
I’ll give you a list of terms; use that to understand the wording in the report. None of this really means anything without knowing the type and intensity of the pain and symptoms you’re having. But from this report I would be willing to guess that it’s pretty bad.

Spine Terminology

Disc Bulge: General pushing out of a spinal disc, extending the disc from its normal position. Considered a normal occurrence with age.

Disc Protrusion: is a herniated disc in which the disc tissue has protruded beyond the disc space but is contained within intact annulus. In other words it hasn’t ruptured.

Spinal Canal Stenosis: The spinal canal is the space inside the lower spine that carries nerves to the various parts of your body. It’s narrow, over time bone and tissue around it can narrow it further. This narrowing is called stenosis. Some things that can cause it are disc bulges/herniations bone spurs/arthritis and ligament thickening.

Facet joints: Joints of the spine that connect all of the vertebrae and allow coordinated movement of the vertebral column.

Facet Hypertrophy: Degeneration of facet joint cartilage and enlargement of the bones forming the joint.

Facet Osteoarthropathy: Degeneration of facet joint cartilage and enlargement of the bones forming the joint.

Foraminal Stenosis (narrowing): At every level of the spine the nerves will exit through a small canal. This canal is called the foramen or foraminal canal. Foraminal stenosis is a narrowing of this canal, usually by a disc bulge/herniation or bone spurs.

Neural foramen: A small canal in which the nerves exit the spinal canal at each level. There is a right and left foramina at each level.

Hemangioma: A spinal hemangioma is a primary, benign tumor most common in the thoracic and lumbar spine. http://www.med.nyu.edu

http://www.med.nyu.edu/hjd/hjdspine/education/glossary/definitionlist.html

Bifida spinous process at C3. I don’t understand this finding, because it’s normal

C3-4 Chronic (developed over a long period of time) moderate (in the middle in terms of severity) left facet osteoarthropathy and endplate spurring (bone spurs, arthritis of the endplates of the vertebra). moderate narrowing left foramen.

C4-5 mild (minimal) chronic left facet osteoarthropathy narrowing of the left foramen.

C5-6 Hemangioma on the C5 vertebra.

C6-7 right posterior endplate spurring.  Right disc osteophyte complex (a disc osteophyte complex is a disc that has calcified and hardened ) narrowing the right paracentral canal. (Part of the spinal canal) Right uncinate (small projections that articulate with the adjacent vertebra) Spurring (arthritis).

Lumbar spine findings:

a small hemangioma left posterior (back or rear) vertebra L1

1 cm hemangioma L4. vertebra.

L3-4 posterior disc bulge. right facet at L 3-4 a small effusion (small amount of fluid)

L 4-5 disc disiccation; ( drying out of the disc)  Disc bulge? 7mm x2 mm central protrusion with disc tear.

L5-S-1 moderate hypertrophic bilateral facet osteoarthropathy. synovial thickening ( thickening of the lining of the joints) facet L5-S-1. effusion right facet L3-4.