Back & Neck Community
MRI of The Cervical Spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

MRI of The Cervical Spine

Just got MRI report reading, Technique: Neutral/Sitting T1, Sagittal T2, Gradient Echo Axial.
Interpretation: There is a reversal of the cervical lordosis, with a focal kyphotic angulation at C5/6, where there is a large, extruded right paramedian disc herniation, causing right cord compression, and displacement of the cord posteriorly and toward the left. with resultant central stenosis. The disc herniation also has right-sided component, extending into the right anterior recess, and origin to the neural foramen. A radial annular tear is present.

Right paramedian disc herniation and radial annular tears are associated with C3/4 and C4/5,
impressing on the right cord at both levels.

C2/3 demonstrates  central subligamentous disc herniation, which is slightly right paramedian,
impressing on the thecal sac.

At C6/7, there is a posterior disc bulge, that impresses on thecal sac.

There is diminished T1 and increased T2 signal intensity noted in the posterior paraspinal fascial
tissues,compatible with inflammatory noninfectious posterior fasciitis .

The cervical cord is otherwise unremarkable in signal and morphology. There is otherwise no evidence of syrinx or chiari malformation. No focal prevertebral or posterior paraspinal abnormal masses or altered signals are otherwise noted.
I have all the symptoms; constant burning pain between shoulder blades,pin needles in hands & feet, involuntary body jerks at night and creepy crawlers with lower back pain.
How serious is this MRI report?
C5/6, where there is a large, extruded right paramedian disc herniation, causing right cord compression, and displacement of the cord posteriorly and toward the left. with resultant central stenosis. The disc herniation also has right-sided component, extending into the right anterior recess, and origin to the neural foramen. A radial annular tear is present.

At C5-6 :This extrusion is compressing your spinal cord and narrowing the canal. It’s also extending into the lateral recess and foramen, which means that it might be pinching a nerve root in there as well. There's a disc tear too.

You have a similar situation at C3-4 and C4-5 with your cord being impressed, but the report doesn’t say how bad it is. You have disc tears at these levels too.

Your symptoms correlate exactly with what’s on this report. The scapular pain is probably from nerve compression and the pins and needles and body jerks are from the spinal compression.  Did I read that right, it said you're 26? What do you do for a living?

You must be in a lot of pain. How long have been dealing with this, are you seeing a Neurologist or Neurosurgeon or what? What are they recommending?

Thanks for the follow up, No I am not 26...............long past that! I am the tender age of 48 as we speak. I am a Transit Bus driver since 94' and no I have not seen a Neurologist yet. My Chiropractor has high-lighted some of my serious problems. C5/C6, EXTRUDED RIGHT PARAMEDIAN DISC HERNIATION. WITH RESULTANT CENTRAL STENOSIS. C3/4 AND C4/5
RIGHT PARAMEDIAN DISC HERNIATIONS. C2/3 CENTRAL SUBLIGAMENTOUS DISC HERNIATION. C6/7 DISC BULGE. I'm currently going to Chiro 3x a wk and Physical Therapy 3x a wk. I had a car accident early summer that got me to this point. I came out of accident with lower back sprain/strain and now having hard time with my left hamstring,left hip,left side,left shoulder blade pain, and left side neck pain. Seem's like accident just aggravated everything. Will be see Neurologist soon.