Back & Neck Community
MRI results,Neurosurgeon? Interpretation??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

MRI results,Neurosurgeon? Interpretation??

I have had cervical/lumbar pain for over 5 years. I had a bad fall 2 years ago in which I received a concussion. Luckily I had a bun in my hair which lessened the impact on my head but could have caused more neck problems. My pain over the years has gotten worse which prompted my to see my Family Practice doc and ask for an MRI instead of the normal visit where she would prescribe meds. I wanted to know what was causing the chronic pain, not just "cover" the symptoms with meds. After my Cervical and Lumbar spine MRI was accomplished, the results were this:
Lumbar Spine-L-4-5 Mild disk bulge with and tiny posterior annular tear  L5-S-1 Small posterior central protrusion and annular tear. Cerical Spine: Gross abnormality of the paraspinous soft tissues C5-6 Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis due to uncovertebral hypertrophy.
I had to insist on having an appointment with the doctor instead of having a nurse tell me what he thought it was, he could not answer my questions and finally made an appointment for me which will be in two days. My friend who works in Orthopedics said that she thought I should see a Neurosurgeon. I need to have a consult first but am not sure yet what the result mean.

I have had ongoing problems with my right arm and wrist. They get numb or have pain that has been classified as radial or carpel tunnel but nothing really helps.  I have sciatic nerve pain in my right buttock which goes down the back of my leg. My back goes into spasms quite often and I am really sick of feeling like a drug seeker when this happens. Pretty much, each day, some portion of my back, shoulder,neck or butt/leg hurts. It might not be bad all the time but it becomes disheartening after awhile.

Does anyone have any insight into what the results mean and if there is anything significant in the findings? The gross abnormality part is a concern to me of course...

Any comments would be appreciated.