Back & Neck Community
Mattress advice for bad back.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Mattress advice for bad back.

I have recently had an operation to remove a disk due to severe sciatic pain and I am worried that my mattress is not helping my back.

I intend to get a new mattress asap but at the moment it is not financially possible for me to do this.

My question is, are there any short term measures I can take to improve this until I can afford a new mattress?

Thanks in advance.

Grant
Hi,here,some advice maybe help:Lay face up on the bed,Elevate the upper back,It can also be readily achieved on a regular mattress by using supportive pillows,Place a pillow under the back of the knees, so the hips and knees are slightly bent.
Good luck!

you can rent a bed at rent a centers or places like that. I've had to do it for company a time or two.
be sure to get a firm mattress, they are not easy to find as everyone wants the pillow top beds. I just had spinal fusion last december and in march bought a firm mattress at orthopedic place, the top mattress alone, we already had the bottom and a frame and it was 800. good luck.
CAT
PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS Does that say it?
I have a back injury sciatic and others. I started off with a normal pillow top bed that I loved prior to injury. Everyone said try the temperpidic beds and I did, Yuck. The point of them is to keep you from moving in the night well with a back injury you wake up with stiffness because you have slept in the same spot ALL NIGHT. Plus they are very hard to get out of. I have tried many others too but what I bought and love is the Sleep Number. It is great because it is like owning lots of different beds in one. If you want firm or supper soft you got it. Some days you need more support and others you want to be craddled. Also if you have a partner they can adjust their side how ever they like due to the duel chamber. I got a queen size duel chamber bed with corder controller for 600$ I did not buy their box spring or frame, I already had those. I know the price has gone up since they don't make my model anymore but I do believe they have a payment plan. I LOVE MY BED and I miss it every time I leave home. I suggest you go to a good mattress store and lay on different beds, try them out. The sleep number is so nice that many of the nicer hotels are starting to put them in their rooms. HAH I sound like an add for them. I hope you find what works for YOU and I hope you get it soon, I understand the money issue.

Irishhoney