Back & Neck Community
Medications for nerve pain????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Medications for nerve pain????

I have read a few things about Lyrica, but I would like to know what other's experiences have been.  I had a fusion at c5-6 about 1 month ago.   For the first 3 weeks, the terrible pain I had near my shoulder blade was gone.   Around week 4, the pain started up again on the other side of my body.   Pre-surgery, I just had right side pain.  That is gone now but I have left side pain.  I am taking vicodin, but I obviously can't take that forever.  I have to go back to work in 2 weeks.   In addition, the vicodin only works for about 2 hours, and then I have wait another 2 hours before I can take it again.   I see my doc this week, and want to ask him about medications for nerve pain (Neurontin or Lyrica).   It seems like everybody on this forum is taking narcotics for pain, but I want a different option.   Can anyone give me advice?
I had back surgery nov 1 2007. My leg hurts worse now than it did before the surgery. My doc has me on Lyrica 150 mg two times a day. I think it may help some but i dont think it works great because i still have a lot of pain. hope this helps. good luck
lyrica is mostly for nerve pain..I just had fusion...lyrica is of little help..side effects are not
great..dizziness, loss of concentration etc..I am in the process of weaning myself off
I know Lyrica is for nerve pain.   In the past, anti-inflammatories have done absolutely nothing for me, so I don't believe that my pain is being caused by inflammation, as one of my docs suggested.   I may as well have been taking candy.   I just know that I don't want to continue on the vicodin, but I need something.   I guess it doesn't hurt to ask...