Back & Neck Community
Middle of night stomach spasms & back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

My boyfriend is a 34 year old healthy and active general contractor.  About 2 months ago he had a concrete laying job that required lots of bending and stretching as well as long durations on his knees.  One morning he awoke with severe spasms in his stomach/ribcage area.  It has progressed sporadically to his sides as well.  He also complains of mid to lower back pain.  This has become intolerable because it wakes him every night at 3am. Changing positions or switching beds doesn't seem to work. He occasionally takes 600 mg of ibuprofen to ease the pain and fall asleep.  He has gotten an MRI of his mid and lower back and everything looks normal. The only previous history he has regarding his back Is that at age 16 he had a spinal fusion to lower spine and had metal work removed when he was 23 years old.

He has seen a coupe doctors and all they recommend is chiropractic work which he tried but came back with more pain. He has not yet spoken to a spinal surgeon. Would this be the answer? The pains are not subsiding or becoming less frequent.

Please help.
What type of doctor read the mri? If it was not a specialist I would go back to the surgeon that did the fusion and/or removal and take the mri with you. Defiantly go get a second opinion asap. There could be nerves being pinched causing the pain. There is a chart on my profile that shows the nerve conduction. Please go look at it and see if he is having any problems that are listed there. This may help when he goes to the doctor. He may want to try sleeping with a pillow between his legs if he is a side sleeper or under if he sleeps on his back.  Also I take black cherry extract for inflammation and it helps better than anything I have tried without causing problems like long term use of other meds.  I took 2 -3x day for a week then went to two a night. Hope this info helps and he gets relief soon. Best of luck to you both.

Sissie

Sissie
Thank you so much for your helpful response. The doctor who read the MRI was a chiropractor and scheduled poor boyfriend for an adjustment claiming that he had a misplaced rib. The next day my bf was in even more pain so did not go back. We are in the process of finding a specialist. Up until now he did not have any health insurance and has been paying for everything cash which is very expensive! As soon as he gets insurance, he'll schedule with a specialist.  In the meantime we will take a look at your chart on nerves and try the pillow sleeping techniques you mentioned as well.

Funny enough, he DETESTS Anything cherry flavored, so needless to say I laughed thinking he'd try that but it beats taken all those pain meds he's been put on.  

Thanks again! You've been a great help!
No chiropractor should even try to adjust anyone's back that has spinal problems without their specialists approval first. It may have messed it up worse. I hope for his sake that he gets into a specialist soon. I know what you mean about waiting for insurance. I went before mine kicked in and it cost over 5k for the test and dr visits they did so I am still trying to pay them off. I should mention that was just in one month.  The Black cherry is pills so no flavor. You could torture him and have him drink juice but it is not as concentrated so he would have to drink like a gallon a day lol. I can't stand it either but I will take it if I run out of my pills. They are cheaper online btw. by about half. I just found that out and am making my first purchase. Hope things improve soon. Best of luck to you both. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Sissie
Will try it out and definitely get back to u if it works. Thais so much for all your input!

P.S. A gallon of juice a day?? Omg! Lol! I'm going to trick him with that suggestion first...lol!