Back & Neck Community
Moderate Degenerative Changes at L4-5

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Moderate Degenerative Changes at L4-5

I'm a 38 yo woman.  After suffering from back spasms and last week not barely being able to walk due to lower back pain, they finally sent me for X-rays.  The report said this:

"Moderate degenerative changes at L4-5.  Considerable disc space narrowing is present at L4-5 with osteophyte formation.  This is out of proportion with the patient's age."

Docs going to send me for an MRI now, but what does all this mean?  My back is collapsing before it's time?  I'm still fairly young to have arthritis in my back no?  What is the prognosis?  Lose weight? Exercise more? Buy a different bed?  What is making my back collapse?
Have you asked your Dr. these questions.  The MRI will show so much more and may answer some questions for you.  I have had arthritis since I was 38 also.  I have always had a lifting alot of weigtht job.  Has Dr. mentioned Therapy?  I got a Tens unit throught therapy.  Dr. writes script you take it to therapy and they give it to you.  You can use it at home just like they use it in therapy.  It really helps me.  In fact i have It going now.  For the spasms are you on meds.  If not ask for Somas.  I take 4 a day and valium helps muscle spasms too.  Write down all your questions you want to ask your Dr. so you dont forget anything and ask him to just help you understand this.  I wish you luck.
          I had a pain doctor tell me IT'S FROM ARTHRITIS, Every other doc acted like I was a???? I was found to have pinched nerves. Wow I am in constant pain now especialy on this pc.
At the age of 37 i had a x-ray after hurting my back at work it said I had some narrowing of L4/5 disc space. I did not have any pain after the injury and worked until Dec 2001 in a heavy job.
I hurt my back again in Dec. 2001. I was lifing a manhole, it broke and I fell down the man hole. I could not work because of the pain I had an mri in dec 2002 showing I had early degeneration at L3/4.
Loss of hydration and disc height at L4/5 with type 1 end plate changes, facet joint degeneration, osseous overgroth and indentation of the thecal sac by the discovertebral complex posteriorly with clear impingment of the left exiting root .
postero lateral bulge at L5/S1 which abutts and possibly irritates the descending roots, narrowing of the neural foramina although no clear evidence of impingement of the exiting roots.

Is this amount of change to my condition clearly atributed to my accident , or would I have been in this much pain anyway? I have had a fusion op in 2005