Back & Neck Community
Multi-level lumbar fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Multi-level lumbar fusion

Has anybody had a 5 level lumbar fusion?  I am most concerned about how much mobility you have after you recover from the surgery.  I have significiant pain and loss of strength in both legs and I wonder how much strength comes back and how much pain reduction.  I am considering going over seas for a hybrid surgery where they fuse 3 levels and inplant 2 artificial discs.  I'm not sure which one to do.  Any help would be helpful!!!
I don't have any information for you noggie, just wanted to wish you best of luck.  I am having a 3-level lumbar fusion next month and it was a struggle to find someone who would do that.  I know my recovery won't be easy and I will need to be diligent about my PT exercises down the road, but man!  5 levels is a lot.  Best wishes.
I had a fusion at L2-5 in 1983 as the result of a car accident. I'm sure each case is different so I won't go into detail as to the problems I've had over the years. I do wish you the best of luck and if you opt for the hybrid surgery I'd love to hear how it goes.
I am so sorry that you are in pain and dont know what to do .  In June I had a L4L5 fusion.  They wen in and removed my disc and then implanted a plastic disc with a plate and two screws.  They did not have to go through my back they actually went in threw my side and did it microscopcally.  Also instead of taking bone from my hip, they gave me an injection of bone metamorphic protein to help grow the bone to fuse it.  Well I found out on monday that they mgiht have given me too much of the protein and its eating away at my bone and still have about two more months befroe it will start to grow the bone.  I was actually moving the next day after surgery and walking the same night.  Only one night at the hospital, so I think overall it was woth it.  Stil have a lot of pain and some nerve pain also with tt he burning in the leg.  Just make sure you know all your options.  Dont think I would go over seas though.  If something happens and you come back to the states, you might have a harfr problem finding someone to take your case.  Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!
Hi I am 45 and in 2 weeks I will be undergoing a 3 level fusio (L5-C1). I had a diskectomy at L-4 &5, 2 years ago . During the post op meeting the surgeon said he should have done the kower one instead and this is just a temporary fix and we will see you in about 2 years (this was in 2010). Well he was right. Now I have much more damage and living with my current activity restriction is causing alot of depression. I dread the recovery of the upcoming fusion, but I am hoping my quality of life will improve. Is this possable? Also will I still be able to enjoy intercourse?