Muscle Spasms - Stiff Neck
Please help me

Last 25 days there was no one at home and I spent most of my time watching TV lying on the Sofa with 5 pillows to prop me up. I would sleep on these pillows and when I woke up I would take a few minutes to be able to move my neck. I did notice that there was some swelling in the neck but thought nothing of it. The swelling is in the neck area spreading to the shoulders. Two days ago I got a stiff neck and I was not able to move my neck at all. Met a doctor and took an X - Ray. He said that it was a case of sever muscle spasms and these muscles were presing into the cervical spine. He said that the spine had to curve into the head in C shape but mine was curving the other side almost towards my face. Some medication and physiotherapy later it was OK. But today after working for about 4 hours on the computer I noticed some pain and swelling is back again. I am using a neck brace also.
I did not ask him to name the symptoms but looks like it is a case of cervical spondylitis. I use a laptop put on a table and rest my hands on the table (elbow onwards) for work. This is pressing the shoulders towards the neck.
How long since these will cure with medication and physiotherapy. Are there are serious consequences and would flying for about 20 hours cause this to aggravate? What is the prognosis? How long before I can start exercising my neck?
I have asked these questions to the Doctor and he asked me to "just wait".
Can anyone here help me with some suggestions and possible causes and what I can do about this?