Back & Neck Community
Muscle and Nerve damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Muscle and Nerve damage

I had a nerve conduction study done and was told that I had muscle and nerve damage starting at L5 S1.  I have numbness in my right foot starting at my toes and going up my leg and on the bottom of my foot.  I did not feel the needles that they put in my back, calf, or foot.  The neurologist said that he had only been asked to do the study and could not tell me anything more.  I would need to go back to my primary care doctor.  I have throbbing pain in my lower back and my foot feels like it is swollen. especially at the ball of my foot.  I would like to know what questions to ask any doctors to find out what it wrong and what to do about it.  Can anyone please help me with this?  I am at loss to know.  I can't really find anything that has been helpful on the internet.
So, your family Doctor must have referred you to this Neurologist, because you've been having back and leg pain. This test is just to see how much of an effect the compressed nerve in your low back at L5-S1 is having on your nerves and muscles. Going by your post, you must have a compressed nerve root at L5-S1, its probably being caused by either a disc bulge or bone spur (arthritis). An MRI will show the exact cause.

The first Question you would probably want to ask would be, how bad is the damage? Ask the Doctor if he/she thinks you should have an MRI scan. (you obviously do) What type of treatment does the Doctor think you should have, conservative treatments, surgery?

Usually, in a situation like yours, you would start out conservatively. Possibly with anti-inflammatory drugs, maybe some prednisone and Physical Therapy, to try and stretch and strengthen the muscles around the injured area. Your Doctor might also want to try some spinal injections, which do sometimes help .

Its important to give these treatments a chance, because they do help a lot of people and they might just help you. Unless you have uncontrollable pain or serious neurological problems, surgery should be the last resort.

Take Care

Have already tried physical therapy and had the shots in the back.  Neither one of those worked.  In fact, both made the pain worse.  I don't want surgery but I don't know what to expect now.  I went to see a neuro surgeon and talked to a nurse practioner.  She told me that the MRI did not show any sign of of anything pressing on the spinal nerve.  Haven't any luck with any of this.  Still have so many unanswered questions.  And I can't take the anti-inflammatory drugs.  They make my liver enzymens go off the chart.  I am the exception and not the rule when it comes to medicine.. And I have spent hours on the internet trying to find some answers.  Thank you for your reply.
If the EMG and Nerve conduction studies show muscle and nerve damage starting at L5-S1, then it's there they just have to locate it.

This is strange, because a lot times a person's MRI will show nerve compression and their EMG will be normal.
i had mri scan and emg and thay found narrowing of nerve endings in my legs and neck i am in agony with my legs cant walk with out being in lots of pain and thay have told me 2 go back in 6 months really dont no what 2 do i am 50 and was fit but this has taken over my life its that bad
don't wait 6 months, be proactive--it's the only body you have!