Back & Neck Community
My back pops when I breathe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

My back pops when I breathe

My back pops when i take a deep breathe and sometimes even with normal shallow breathing.  It started when i was 18 years old popping every now and then and now im 24 and the pooping happens every 2-3 mins.  Over the past couple of years it has been causing back pain.  My back pops in the cervical and thoracic spine and the pain is in my neck all the way down to inbetween my scapulas.  Lately its been causing tension heachaches and im just annoyed with popping and pain.  No over the counter pain meds work.  No one has been able to give me answers.  Ive been to the doctor and i took some xrays and everything came back fine.  Ive been to the chiropractor and physical therapist and no one has answers.  Every position for me is uncomfortable.
Hi, I'm having the same issue but for me it's a result of stored emotional pain and sadness. The more I let past hurts out the better I feel. I am also going to check out Network Spinal Analysis, to see if it can help get out all of the stored emotions... Good luck.
Hey there. Your symptoms sound almost identical to my symptoms I am dealing with right now. I am 20 years old and it is very frustrating/annoying at this time in my life. It feels like I'm 60 haha. Was wondering if you were able to find a solution/answer to your problems? Any response would be helpful. Thank you
I have severe spine disease that started in my 20s. While I may have emotional pain and sadness, my severe pain is a result of my diseased spine.

Whatever "popping" sound you hear may or may not be related to your condition, but it needs to be explored.

You need to see a specialist trained in the spine and pain management. They call this field 'interventional pain management". These are anesthesiologists  with advanced training and board certification in pain management. They will acquire a complete history, make a thorough examination, order an MRI from it, examine soft tissue that is not revealed in an Xray.

When the doc reachs a diagnosis, he/she can decide on a treatment option.

Your pain is not imagined -- it is real.

Get some treatment.
Hi Celeste, how are you? Hope all is well!  I have very similar symptoms as you did. I know it's been years since your last post about the popping back, but could let me know please what kind of treatment you had in the end? Thank you very much!
Alex, most people who post here on these forums come and go quickly.

If you click the name Celeste825, you'll see her profile summary that shows she came here in 2010, posted twice, and never posted again.