Back & Neck Community
My neck hurts when I turn it up, down, right, and left

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I popped my neck and I felt a sharp pain and when I try to turn It Up, down, right, and left it hurts and when I do physical activities it hirts
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. The symptoms can be due to slipped disc, degenerative disc disease or arthritis.

Herniated disc (or slipped disc as this is commonly called) is basically a portion of the disc (usually the soft insides) which bulges out of their position between two vertebrae through a weakness in the ligaments. So, this is in a way something like a hernia. This can cause pressure on the spinal cord or on the spinal nerves, depending on the direction in which this hernia occurs.

Degenerative disc disease is a wear and tear disease. This may be present in form of drying up of disc or it may cause protrusions from vertebral bodies called osteophytes. These osteophytes then block the foramen or opening through which spinal nerves pass.

Please do not strain your neck and consult a doctor immediately. Generally multiple vertebral joint involvement, disc bulges and other problems are managed conservatively. The treatment is a combination of pain killers, muscle relaxants, physiotherapy, manual therapy including traction, hydrotherapy, and exercise. Most people respond to this. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.