Back & Neck Community
Myelogram complications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Myelogram complications

Hi everybody.  I have never had any invasive spinal procedure before, but I had a cervical myelogram with C1:C2 puncture 2.5 weeks ago.  I had no pain during the procedure.  

Since then I've had a warm/weak/tight muscle feeling in my left arm on the side where the injection of contrast was done.  This feels very similar to the nerve problems from an injury on my right side, which is why I got the myelogram.  The radiologist who performed the procedure is very skilled and I know he did not cause any nerve damage with the needle, so this must be either a reaction to the contrast or a muscular reaction from the needle.

I also have had a bad headache (seems to be slowly getting better) which feels like pain/pressure/a dry feeling in my skull.  It does not get better when laying down.  My doctor told me this was a reaction to the contrast dye which got to my brain, not due to a CSF leak.

Has anyone had these problems before and did you recover?
Hi there!

It is common to have slight discomfort following a spinal puncture which may slightly be increased with the contrast used due to irritation of the nerves. This is likely to get relieved in a few days and should not be anything to worry about.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
I was in 2 car accidents within 6 months back in 2009. Both times I was rear-ended causing neck pain. I have had 16 nerve root pain blocks, therapy and medication. The Dr's want to do surgery but will not even give me good odds that it will work, and it may get worse. I have been on soma and norco for the most part, although a few times I was given morphine and fentnayl patches. I get by with the meds, but am not able to function with nothing for pain. I have Chrons so any type of anti-inflamatory med is not an option. I just went through another round of tests-mylelogram,ct and emg. The findings on my myelogram stated " Mild anterior extradural defect noted at c3-c4, moderate narrowingof the c5-c6 disk space with bilateral posterior hyperstrophic spurrinf noted causing mild encroachment upon the anterior aspect dural sac" also there is bilateral nerve root amputations present at c5-c6.  I hate to have surgery with very low chances of improvement.  At the moment I am stil on meds to control pain and get by enough to do most daily activities. I have noticed the the meds are not working as well since I have been on them for 3 years.  I am just hoping to get some opinions and or advice. Any help would be great!