Back & Neck Community
Mysterious Shoulder Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Mysterious Shoulder Pain

Three years ago I suddenly began having pain in my left shoulder for no apparent reason. There was no injury, the pain just showed up one day. It seems to begin from a point between my shoulder blade and thoracic vertebrae, there is almost a pinching feeling there, and the muscle along the top of my shoulder becomes very knotted up and painful with use, the more I move it, the more it hurts. A year later, I began having pain and numbness in both hands, and a nerve test showed I had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, and also that my ulnar nerve was pinched at the elbow and in the wrist, but nothing was going on with the shoulder. MRIs, x-rays, etc show nothing wrong with the shoulder. I had surgery on both wrists and elbows, and it lessened the pain in my right hand, but the left and the shoulder are still the same. I am still having numbness in my hands when I lay down. No doctor I have been to has been able to find anything wrong with my left shoulder. I saw one emergency room doctor who gave me a series of shots of lidocaine in my back ("neural therapy") and it gave me a good deal of relief, which is fading now that it has been several weeks since the treatment. I'm waiting for a referral to a pain specialist who does the neural therapy, but for the last few days, I have noticed that the ring finger and pinky of my left hand are swelling, which is new. They started swelling and I had to take off my wedding ring since it was feeling too tight, but removing it has not lessened the swelling any, and the fingers are also red. I'm trying to get an appointment to see a doctor soon, but my regular doctor quit at the clinic I go to and it can sometimes take weeks to get in to see anyone here. What might be going on, or what tests might be of use?