Back & Neck Community
Neck & Left Arm Pain & Numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck & Left Arm Pain & Numbness

I have had constant pain in my left shoulder radiating down arm into my thumb and next two fingers.  This feeling is like a throbbing sensation, really deep dull pain then into pins and needle in the fingers.  I am taking Mobic in the morning and Codalgin every 4 hrs to relieve the pain.  It is significantly worse at night while I am try to sleep.  I have had it for 2 months.  Chiropractic treatment worked for a while (entrapped nerves in the scalene muscle).  My diagnosis after scan/xrays is that the spinal canal narrowing at L4/5 due to a broad based disc protusion, hypertrophic degenerative facet change and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. If anyone would have any suggestions on other treatment for this condition, I would be mostly grateful.

I JUST HAD 7 FUSIONS IN MY NECK. I HAVE SEVERE SPINAL STENOSIS.i HAD MY SURGERY AT JOHNS HOSP.,IN BALT. MD. I TOO, HADNuMBNESS TINGLING IN MY HANDS & FEET. I HAD WEAKNESS IN MY RIGHT SIDE OF MY BODY. I STARTED TRIPPING,FALLiNG,&DROPPING THINGS.THIS WENT ON FOR 7-8 YRS,WHILE TRYING EVERY IMAGINABLE CuRE,IN ORDER TO AVOID SuRGERY. I FINALLY GAVE INTO HAVING IT'BEEN 6 ,WEEKS, & I'M DOING GREAT. IT'S ALOT OF RE-HAB WORK,BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.MY LEFT  IS STILL WEAK, BUT GETTING BETTER. MY DR. WAS SUPER-DR. TIMOTHY WITHAM. GO TO A NEUR-OSURGEON & IF HE THINK YOU NEED SURGERY GO FOR IT !!! LINNIE59--GOOD LUCK
Thanks for your advice. I will try as you suggested and go see a neurosurgeon. Thanks again. Fox747
good luck on the neck-I had surgery in 1997 following an injury OTJ and herniated disc in my neck that impinged nerves to my right hand,
Sadly I have permanent damage to those nerves and my hand has continued to deteriorate so surgery isn't always the cure...not that I know what is .
I have been left with 3 numb fingers that have poor dexterity but it did control the pain.
hope for the best, but don't be too surprised if you still have issues down the line.
Make sure, if you do have surgery, that you follow thru on post op rehab--it's very very important to your recovery.
january43
Thanks for your advice.  What sort of medication did you take before opting for the operation?  I have just started capadex for pain and diazepan for muscle relaxant.  Only be on them one day but hasn't made any difference. As you know the pain is so excruitiating at times.  Foz747