Back & Neck Community
Neck/Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck/Back Pain

Ok so I seem to have this pain when I touch the spine at the top of my neck. It only hurts when I touch the actual bone after I have been sitting for a while. Also I have a pain in my lower back when I wake up in the morning. Any of this pain isn't unbearable but it does hurt. I have been told it could be an RSI but another Doctor told me it was just bad posture. I have had a few falls of a bike as I do MTB and stuff but I have never really fell and got up saying I have a sore back from a fall. Although I have had pain in my lower back from cycling for multiple hours. Do I need to go get this checked out or will I just have to improve my posture?
Hello Sbuller,

I'm sorry to hear about your lower back pain and tenderness in your cervical spine.

You don't state your age. Is that important - yes. With age comes aging issues of the spine and things like DDD (Degenerative Disc Disease), arthritis and similar changes. Obviously these often normal changes could account for your pain. I'm going to assume that you are 40 or under.  I hate to assume anything!

Your question is simply, "Do I need to get this out?" Pain is our body's way of telling us something isn't right - like the engine light in your vehicle. I look at it as a conversation, "I hurt. Check on me."  Take heed and listen to your body's signals.

I don't know when you last seen a doctor that indicated your pain was posture related. If that was recently and you have just begun working on your posture than I'd give it several weeks - After that time if your pain has not reduced it's time to return to your PCP.  However If it's been several months since you last saw your PCP and your pain has not significantly changed then it's now time to return and have your pain evaluated.

Low back pain is the single most common complaint and the #1 reason ppl seek medical care in the USA. Low back pain is not uncommon - that doesn't mean it should be ignored.

I wish you the best. Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. If you have additional questions or want to clarify your post - please feel free to do so,
.

Take Care,
~Tuck