Back & Neck Community
Neck Pain and Head Noise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck Pain and Head Noise

I started 18 months ago with a noise I thought was in my ear/temple/head.  Gradually I started getting headaches.  The noise is only on the right side with slight shoulder pain going down the back of my arm and pinky tingles.
My neck is crackley and I get headaches almost like tension headaches.  I have a small spur anteriorly at C5-6 There is a 1mm subluxation of C6 on C7.No soft tissue swelling, no abnormalities.  MRI of cervical spine shows unremarkable except for disk bulge indent the thecal sac on C3-4 and C4-5.  I am 61 and I understand that aging has to do with it but I am fit 5'5" 120 lbs and workout and with a PT for a year.  At first I thought the head noise was tinnitus due to age but I am not sure.  ENT said could be but maybe not.  Neurosurgeon did not find anything nor did anyone else. I was told Studies electrodiagnostic are not suggestive of R cervical radiculities, or any nerve entrapments such as cts.  I am frustrated by the loud noise with pressure on the side of my head above my ear by my temple and the back of my neck is stiff after exercise.  Does anyone know what I could do. Thank you.
Have you been checked for Ménière's disease?
I have been to every doctor except an orthopedist recently ( 2yrs ago) no mention of Meniere's disease.  No trouble with balance etc. Thank you.
The reason I ask about Meniere's disease because you were talking about a noise/ringing  in your ear .  I have this disorder and it will cause a blocked feeling and sometimes noise in the ear.  Yes, vertigo is part of the disorder.

I am 47 years old and my spinal problems as far as degenerative disease goes, seems to go downhill extremely fast (my neurosurgeon has told me this).  

So being a young 61 and it has been two years since you were last checked, I think I would go back to the doctor again for an update since you are having problems.  
I dont know how this happened but the only way to explain the symptoms and give it a detail description is like this... MY DAY BEGINS BY WAKING
UP WITH PAIN IN MY JOINTS AND NECK? IT FEELS LIKE WHEN EVER I TURN MY HEAD MY NCEC STARTS CREAKING AND POPPING, AND
MY JOINTS IN MY FINGERS, WRISTS, ANKELS,LEGS BEOME STIFF AND HARD TO MOVE. (it feels at first like numb, no circulation, no lubrication in my joints, pain when moving neck, legs, wrists, etc.. .. creaking and popping sounds coincide with the pain) SO FEELS LIKE IM
100 YRS OLD BUT JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN IT? I FELT
THAT IT WAS RA- RUEMETOID ATHRITIS, OR INFLAMMATION IN THE JOINTS, OR DEFECIANT IN VITIAMIN D OR CALCIUM, ETC? MY MOBILE ABILITY HAS GONE FROM 100% TO AROUND 50% WITH NO REAL RELIEF EXCEPT TEMPORARY REMIDIES LIKE CREAMS, HEAT PADS, PILLS, ETC?  I DONT KNOW IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE SO IF HAS LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN RELATE? AND
ALSO ONE OTHER THING IS MY BACK AT TIMES WILL LOCK UP UPON BENDING AND MY UPPER SHOLDERS WILL CREAK A LOT WHEN I MOVE THEM IN A ARCHING MOTION, PAIN WHEN STRETCHING OR DOING ANYTHING PHYSICAL/BONES STIFF AND ACHE DURING THE DAY UNTILL GOING TO BED.. THEN IT BEGINS ALL OVER AGAIN.. GOING NOW ON 3 YRS SINCE I TURNED 57 YRS?