Back & Neck Community
Neck Pain and Tingling Hands and Feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck Pain and Tingling Hands and Feet

Hi, I was in a car accident on October 31st, 2008.  I was pregnant with my latest child at the time and was not wearing a seat belt because I was delivering mail at the time for work.  I was struck on the drivers side while turning left into a laneway.  The other driver was driving at least 90km when she struck me.  I injured my neck, back and right hip durning the accident.  About a month ago I noticed that my right side of the back of my neck was swollen.  I have had increased neck headaches since the accident.  I did have x-rays done of my back and neck at the hospital after the accident and they found nothing.  I was wondering what could be causing the right side of my neck to swell, while causing pain to go up the back of my neck into my head and down the right side of my back while also causing tingling in my hands and feet?  I hope u can help me, as it is concerning me.
Hi and welcome to the back and neck support forum.

There is a condition that does not show up immediatly after an accident. It is a cyst that forms due to trauma and fills with fluid.....

The condition is called syringomyelia.....there r congetial syringomyelia and trauma related.

I would suggest u have an MRI of the area and see if something has developed.

Please keep us posted on ur progress

"selma"

Thank you for the information.  I had never heard of that before but it is seriously worth looking into.  I have seen my physician but he just pushed on the back of my neck and perscribed Ibuprofen 400mg at 1 tab three times a day for 30 days.  But as of yet it has not started helping me.  I will try to get him to do an MRI.  I do know that my neck is now cracking with almost every movment I make with my head.  
Thank you again. And I will keep u informed.

"goodgirl1976"
U r welcome, I hope u get ur answers so u can get to feeling better!!

"selma"
I have been back to my doctor and he says there is some tightness in my neck and perscibed me a different antinflamaitory that is called Mobicox.  He has not sent me for any further testing nor has he sent me for any physio.  I am still not sure that he is diagnosing me properly.  But I think I will try this new med and hope for the best.  But if it doesn't work then I am going to request he do some tests or I will seek out a second opinion.  But he seems to think that it is a swollen muscle or something and that it is causing my tingling.