Back & Neck Community
Neck Pain with sleeping after artifical disc replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had cervical artifical disc replacement at c5-6   9 months ago (last May).  Ever since my neck hurts to be on any kind of pillow.  I have tried tons of different pillows.  It just hurts to put the pressure on my neck.  It really hurts to lay on my back on my neck, but also on my sides.  I had a facet injection in November which took a little of the edge off but not all the way.  Now I am waking up with a very stiff neck and can't stay in bed at all because of the pain.  Has anyone else had this problem after the surgery and what have you done.  As far as my arms and everything they have been great since the surgery.
Just a guess, but the neck is supported by the spine,disk and muscles. Did you have physical therapy after your surgery? Perhaps, not using the neck muscles due to pain, caused your muscles to become weak. Maybe you need some physical therapy to strengten your muscles and help support your neck. You should discuss this with your doctor.
I agree. I did pt after and continued until last month. I am now aching again. So I know I need to keep working on strengthening my neck muscles. I am 45 and it is just taking a little longer