Back & Neck Community
Neck Pops (lots pain in neck/shoulder)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neck Pops (lots pain in neck/shoulder)

EXTREME NECK POPPING FOLLOWED BY NECK/SHOULDER PAIN:

Woke up one morning in Oct and neck started making popping sounds (hundreds of times a day).  I never crack my neck so it was unusual.  Within a week, sharp pains started in my neck & shoulder (always on the right hand side).  For the last 3 months, I have had these pops (300 times a day) and sharp quick pains (50-100 times/day).  Chiropractic services was no help in Oct/Nov.  Physical therapy excerises during all Dec did not help.  MRI test in Dec shows nothing.  Xray in Nov showed nothing. Neourogist recommends a EMG - which means another month of waiting and pain.  I cannot remember doing anything that would have originally caused it, nor can I can what is going to "set it off" for a painful hour here and there.  It feels like there is a spot of pain at the base of my skull just to the right of my top cervical vertibrea and also a spot under my collarbone on front right side and then my sharp pains that come and go.

Has anyone ever heard of these symptoms and have any ideas???
i have the same issues with no diagnosis...do you have one yet?  i have been having this problem on and off now for 9 years....and i am only 27.  sometimes everytime i move my head or right arm...there is pain and a grinding noise.  this can last for months..and then go away for months...
its been almost 6 months and no one can explain it.  the neck popping has turned into neck jolts and now also get full body jolts.  they're trying steroids for possible immflamation in occipial nerve area where it burns in my skull.  i don't think these nerves show up on the MRIs and EMGs.
Maybe see a rheumatologist.

I just watched an episode of Mystery Diagnosis and it turned out to be a rare for of bacterial arthritis.

Just a thought!