Neck pain from fused vertebrae?
MRI has shown that vertebrae in my neck (I have a reversed curve) fused. They asked when I had my surgery, I said 2hat surgery? That's when I found out about the vertebrae fusion. I suffered severe pain off and on for years (still do at times, but manage it better) which was like a flaming knife stuck in the back of one side if my head and it would creep up and sit over my eyed and in my face ( just one side.) Would vertebrae slowly fusing over the years be the cause of this pain? I was never able to get adequate medical help. Used to take 4 Advil at a time to take the edge off the pain. Now I have pain, stiffness in neck all the time, but not much of the "flaming knife" episode.
Hi!
Well, self-fusion of vertebral bodies is not a normal procedure. Maybe there is a degenerative disease that is causing pressure changes and fusion. Ankylosing spondylitis is another possibility. It could possibly be age related. So, yes, this can cause compression on spinal nerves and neck stiffness, both of which can result in pain.
The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to steroid injections to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must. Take care!