Back & Neck Community
Need Help, Doctor refuses to treat my pain seriously

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

My question is pretty simple:  I have only recently started going to see a doctor and I have horrendous lower back pain that I'm finally caving in to go see him.
To my horror, the doctor treated me as I was stupid, overstating my pain levels (I have degenerative disc disease in the lower back), and then callously dismissed me with a prescription for Aleve which I had already told him did nothing or the pain.

I am allergic to Morphine and cannot take any narcotics, so I had asked to be given Ultram which I had regularly received before for a dislocated shoulder and or post-op pain.

My question is, why did the doctor treat me like I was asking for hardcore drugs?  I only wanted to be able to sleep through the night without waking my husband every time the muscles cramped.  Why would my doctor react as i I had asked or heroin?  Please help, I want to be able to control my pain but aspirin isn't doing it and I don't want to be mistreated into leaving another doctor's office in tears.
I had somewhat of a similar experience when I went to see a Beverly Hills doctor for a second opinion.
After explaining my history, he told me in uncertain terms he 'is not going to second guess another doctors opinion' and dismissed me. That was one of the worse experiences I had but with the help of my caregiver, it did not deter me. I went on to see other doctors and found doctors who recognized my symptoms. The medical community is constantly 'educating' themselves to the current areas of pain. That is why it is called 'The Practice of Medicine', maybe one day they will get it right.
Don't let this stop you from getting an educated doctors 'guess' as related to your issues. Find a specialist and do your research. They are out there. Keep you focus on the area in question and get the doctor to listen to what you have to say and don't get discouraged. A PROFESSIONAL will listen.