Back & Neck Community
Need advice concerning neck pain and possible tear in neck arteries

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

How do you know if you've torn an artery in the neck before it's too late? I had my head turned to the side looking at my computer and I was trying to pick something out of my back teeth, therefore opening my jaw rather wide which could cause some constriction in the neck, when I had a sharp, burning, electrical pain-very strong and very painful--sear through the side of my neck, like the one whole muscle was involved at once.  But, as soon as it came, it left.  I have no muscle ache or strain or any other symptoms at all afterwards, except for nervousness.  I don't have medical insurance, so, although I'm not typically like a hypochondiac, I get nervous sometimes when I can't check something out.  I am a yoga teacher, so I learned about torn arteries when I read a yoga related article.  I'm nervous that I had so much pain, if it were muscular, I should think that I'd have residual aching or spasms or strain. So I'm scared I may have torn my artery.  I don't have a doctor or lots of money for tests and treatment.  But, what to do?  If I wait to see if I develop symptoms like a headache or nausea, it could be worse by that time.  Or maybe if I don't have any symptoms right away, that means nothing majour happened and I have nothing to worry about?  Can you please advise?