Back & Neck Community
Neuro or Ortho surgeon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Neuro or Ortho surgeon

I have 2 herniated discs in my cervical spine, and a herniated disc in my lumbar spine. I have been told the cervical needs to be fixed right away and the lumbar can wait. Who is the best type of surgeon to do these procedures? Neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the spine?
Both are spine specialists but the neurosurgeon,  I believe, specialises more with nerve compression etc (which is a common problem with a herniated disc)rather than with the other structures of the spine ie vertabrae and spinal column. Which type of specialist you see is dependant upon your diagonosis and your pain. Your doc should refer you to which is the most appropriate specialist. I wonder why they have said that you need the neck surgery asap, what are your symptoms? I have 2 herniated discs in cervial spine, one worse than the other, and have held off surgery so far by having less invasive pain management.
thanks for your response. The neurosurgeon I needed surgery asap due to spinal cord compression that the cervical herniated discs are causing. He said when the spinal cord in being compressed in the cervical area, the damage can be irreversible. I don't have "pain" in my neck, just some stiffness, but have lots of numbness/tingling in my arm/hand. He said the numbness is worse than the pain. However, I am terrified of having the surgery and all the risks involved with that, and then end up with chronic pain afterward.I am just full of anxiety about all of this...I have 2 more opinions in the next couple weeks, with another neuro and a ortho.
Thanks,
Michelle