Back & Neck Community
Not really in my back. More in my left side/ribcage. Is it a pulled mus...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Not really in my back. More in my left side/ribcage. Is it a pulled muscle or something more serious?

Around 9 years ago I was playing soccer with some friends. I was playing goalie and one of my buddies tried to put a ball over my head. I jumped as high as I could (made the save) but on the way down I felt one of the most excruciating pains ever. It felt like a hole was torn in my side and I could barely breathe it hurt so much. When I got home my left side was dark purple, almost black. Like my mom, I figured it was just a badly pulled muscle so we did the whole ice and heat and ibuprofen thing and about 2 weeks later it was better. However since then I have been "pulling a muscle" in the same spot about once a year. I emphasize "pulling a muscle" because at first that's what I thought it was but now almost 10 years later this is an annual occurrence and I'm starting to think it is from damage in the area that wasn't treated properly. Today I woke up with a very stiff back and did not get a good night sleep. When I made a quick movement to my left side, POW! It felt like someone hit me in the ribs and just like every time it has happened I was short of breath at first. My question is, do you think this might not be just a pulled muscle but possible a rib injury?