Back & Neck Community
Off and on pain 3 momths in upper back by right shoulder blade

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I'll try to make this as short as possible but a little info. I am a 46 year old female.  I do NOT smoke, never have and rarely drink.  I have been having pain that ranges from barely noticeable to extreme in my upper back between my spine and shoulder blade off an on for about 2 or 3 months.  At first it just felt like I'd slept wrong. I know I need to get it checked but struggling with health insurance issues right now...Yeah Obama care!!!  OR....trying to go through state disability (I'm a photographer so this interferes) and/or find a clinic with a sliding scale.  
I HAVE been diagnosed with Arthritis in my lower lumber, right where the hip/butt area on the left side as well as a bulging disc and pinched nerve all in that spot. Pain is sometimes so bad it brings me to tears getting out of bed but once I'm up an moving it's not too bad. That has been going on for nearly 10 years, I'm on some mild dose of hydrocodone that I interchange with tramadol so I don't get dependent.  Other option was surgery and I'm not ready for that.  I have Mollaret's Meningitis  
http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/gard/10868/mollaret-meningitis/resources/1  If you are curious.  
Basically reoccurring meningitis, I've had it 6 times so far in the last 12 years.  Both viral and bacterial.  This is accompanied with almost daily migraines.  I also have silent reflux...I was scoped about 6 years ago and had a thyroid tumor removed but no evidence of barrettes esophagus.    
Even with all this, my worse fear is cancer.  My Mother had breast cancer and was given a 30% of beating it, which she did!  But I worry that this new back pain could be a tumor....
I guess I need someone to give me alternatives to think about instead of my constant paranoia with cancer.  It is my WORSE fear ever.  Could this pain be related any or all the other issues I have?  Including being a photographer. I hold my camera in mostly my right hand and any and all camera bags are carried on my right side as well.  and I shoot EVERY day.  Thanks for any help.
Normally, I'd suggest that your work is causing your back pain. However, you've got a lot of stuff that may or may not be going on with your health.

If your question is "Do I have breast cancer", I can't help you. Diagnosis of cancer is a complicated affair requiring physical exams, blood work, and other diagnostic tests.

For your own peace of mind, seek medical attention and get yourself a diagnosis.
Thank you for the reply. As soon as I can get to a doctor I will. I'm struggling with the whole Obama care, insurance thing.  I have been getting the Mammo-gram every year since my 20's and once in a while a sonogram.  I have a lot of benign cysts so I've kept a close eye but lost my job last year and my insurance with it.  I am not eligible for "Affordable health care"  I'm working on some other state funded stuff but I keep hitting brick walls.  
I understand. Good luck with it.