Opioids for pain managment
I have a question for the doctors.  Why in the bloody blue blazes are opioids so terribly vilified in the treatment of chronic pain in the medical community?  Is this a result of the Harrison Act of 1924, legislation written by people who also thought that 3 or more women gathering together were practicing witchcraft or who advocated burning books?  Same act?  Or maybe it is because of the 1971 Richard Nixon declaration of war on drugs?

I find this all rather perplexing.  Are opioids carcinogens?  Do they incite Satan worship?  What is it about them that inspires such fear among those of you with an MD?  Really?

Ray
They are afraid they will end up with an addict on their hands and the fact that the gov't is VERY strict about opiads. I have SI joint problems and damage to my C3 to C7 vertebra and they want to give me 37.5 mg of Ultracet, yeah, like that's gonna help me to keep working (my job is alot of heavy lifting) I once asked my primary for 5 mg of hydrocodone, you would have thought I asked for heroin!! He gave me the "it's very addictive" lecture. he said I may get addicted to the "high" I asked him, in the 13 years I've been his patient have I EVER given any indication I am a pill head and if I do take enough to get a buzz I am gonna puke and that is not my idea of fun. But he gives my husband 50mcg patches of Fentynal a month for chronic pain from a auto accident (he really does need it, nothing else works) All my pain management doc wants to do is shoot me in the neck. You can thank the gov't and all the oxycontin junkies for this mess.