Back & Neck Community
Osteopenia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Osteopenia

I have Osteopenia in my lower spine.    I am having back pain in the area where is the Osteopenia is located.  Could the pain be caused by the Osteopenia?
Welcome to the Back and Neck Community.  The members are here to provide assistance and support to individuals experiencing symptoms related to possible abnormal conditions of the cervical and or lumbar spine.  The advice given is non-professional and is primarily based on personal experiences.  You may post on the Expert Forum if additional medical advice is needed and one of the medical doctors will respond as needed.

Osteopenia is a medical term for thinning of the bone and is diagnosed with a bone mass density test.  The thinning of the bone makes it weaker and increases the risk of fracture.  Fractures are more prevalent with conditions of osteoporosis in which the density of the bone is severely compromised (more pronounced than osteopenia).
The weakness of the bones could be producing symptoms of pain.  Treatment is aimed toward preventing further bone mass loss and includes increasing calcium intake and Vitamin D which can be done with a nutritional diet that includes milk products, getting exposure to the sun and avoiding things which contribute to further bone loss such as smoking, alcohol and consumption of cola drinks.
Bone loss is common after the age of 30 and the treatment of osteopenia is directed at preventing osteoporosis.
Discuss your diet and activity levels with your primary physician.  It may be indicated to have a repeat bone density test to determine if you are developing osteoporosis.
Best wishes -----
I have not had a fracture or broken bone.i went to my doctor in march because my back was unbearable sore.i got a scan which said two of  the vertebraes in my back was squashed.i then got a bone scan which said I had osteopenia.how can a pain come on so quick and be so sore when nothing happened.