Back & Neck Community
Osteophytes causing loss of movement?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Osteophytes causing loss of movement?

This says back & neck forum, so here goes. To explain a little, the only Cervical vertabrae in my neck that doesn't have problems is C1-2. In the rest of them I have osteophytes, foraminal stenosis, cervical stenosis, bulging disc at C4-5causing impingment of the exiting left C4 nerve, fusion at C5-6 with cadaver bone, titanium plate and screws.Facet degenerative changes. In other words, my neck is toast, LOL.  I'm hoping somebody can help with the problems I've been having laely. While driving, or sitting at my desk looking at the monitor, I tilt my head slight up, as I am short.Often times when I go to look down or straight ahead, it's like my neck is locked in the tilted position. I can force it down, and hear and feel a loud snapping sound. I am concerned about further damaging the discs. Anybody have any ideas?

I have also been having occipital and temporal severe pain. I got in a stressful situation while driving today, and by the time I go home an hour later I had close to a migraine headace. That was at 4, and it's 1:30 now. I have taken a double dose of pain medicine, and it has almost gone away. But if I push at the base of my skull, or to the side of my eyes, there is a very sharp pain. This pain is always there. Not sure what this is or what causes it, I'm totally relating it to my neck problems. I also have mid-back and lumbar problems fairly severly, but my neck is what I am most concerned with.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time. However, neck and back pain are one of the most difficult disorders that a surgeon faces .From the information given I would say that you  have possibly suffered what is sometimes called a soft tissue injuries to the cervical spine,which could have been present before the surgery. The surgery could aggravate and bring about more symptoms from this pre-existing problem,and soft tissue inflammation could lead to symptoms as you said.

About this condition, most people DON'T need surgery. That does not mean that they do not have pain, it just means that there is no surgery that will be able to successfully address the problem.so,I would agree that physical therapy, intensive acupuncture, and mobilization exercises can be helpful.Good luck!
if you have osteophytes and foraminal stenosis it's time to see the neurosurgeon.
adjacent joint disease is commom..2.9% for 10 years..good luck