Back & Neck Community
PAIN AFTER SURGERY-NO FOLLOW -UP CALL OR VISIT AFTER SURGERY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

MY DAUGHTER HAD FRONT NECK SURGERY MONDAY APRIL 15 AND BACK OF NECK SURGERY ON FRIDAY APRIL 19 DOCTOR WAS SUPPOSED TO CALL ME IMMEDIATELY AFTER SURGERY DONE-WHICH HE DID NOT UNTIL 7:15 PM THAT EVENING ALSO WAS SUPPOSED TO SEE HER AFTER RECOVERY IN HOSPITAL AND DID NOT-HAS NOT SEEN HER AFTER SURGERY AT ALL EVEN AFTER NUMEROUS CALLS FROM CHARGE NURSES EVERY DAY AND HOUR SINCE SURGERY AND NEVER RETURED ANY CALLS UNTIL 7:15 PM SATURDAY NITE CLAIMING IT WAS A "MISCOMMUNICATION I GUESS" ABOUT A FOLLOW UP CARE FOR MY DAUGHTER WHO WAS EXPERIENCING EXCRUSIATING PAIN AND ONLY THE SURGEON COULD CHANGE HER PAIN MEDICATION FOR HER...SO FOR 3 DAYS SHE HAS BEEN SUFFERRING WITH UNBELIEVABLE PAIN,,,CRYING FOR HER DOCTOR TO BE CALLED AND TO COME SEE HER...SAYING SHE WOULD RATHER BE DEAD SHE COULDNT STAND THE PAIN ANY MORE... AND CONTINUALLY SCREAMING SHE WANTED TO DIE....PLEASE CALL HER DOCTOR....SHE WANTED AND NEEDED TO SEE HER DOCTOR...STILL TO DATE SHE HAS NOT SEEN HIM SINCE SURGERY BUT DID CALL SAT. NITE AT 7:15 TO SAY HE COULDNT SEE HER UNTIL MONDAY, APRIL 22 THE EARLIEST AND SAID HE WOULD HAVE A DOCTOR IN THE HOSPITAL SEE HER THAT EVENING...WHO BY THE WAY...DROPPED BY SHORTLY AFTERWARDS ...SAID HE WAS TO DO SURGERY  AND THEN WOULD COME BACK TO SEE HER....BUT.... NEVER DID....SHE IS STILL IN VERY EXCRUIATING PAIN AND WITH NO HELP FROM ATTENDING NURSES OR ANYONE IN THE HOSPITAL!  I IT WERENT FOR ME BEING THERE THEY PROBABLY WOULD COMPLETELY IGNORE HE AND HER SITUTION ALL TOGETHER...BUT I COULDNT BE THERE 24-7 SO GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT WOULD BE HAPPENING WHEN I WAS NOT THERE WITH HER. PLEASE HELP! THANK YOU MICHELLE WASH. DC....
Hi!
This is really strange because a family member is informed about completion of the surgery and allowed to meet the patient once. Also, after a neck and spine surgery, the surgeon visits the patient frequently. Also, pain medication can be given in collaboration with the anesthetist on duty. The nurse can coordinate with the anesthetist. At times the patient is allowed to monitor her pain medication through a pump. There is something really amiss. Please talk to the nursing supervisor and the hospital superintendent/manager and the patient assistance cell. Also talk to her surgeon. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.