Back & Neck Community
Pain In my upper back when tilting my head. Pins and needles in my lef...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain In my upper back when tilting my head. Pins and needles in my left hand.

I woke up one morning with the stiffest neck I have ever had.  It took 4 days to go away!  I now am left with a very painful and uncomfortable feeling when I tilt my head back and also when I am driving with my left arm elevated on the wheel.  I constantly feel like I have toi straighten out.  I have been to mt Chiro 6 times in 3 weeks and it only seems to be getting worse.  I now have a ache in my inner elbow that seems to send the worst pins and needles to my thumb, pointer and index finer.  My Chiro said they are unrelated but I feel very strongly that they are connected.  Sleeping is the worst!  I wake up in pain 10 times a night !  why is this happening?  Im starting to get worried.  Please keep me posted if you guys come up with anything.  
Thanks!
If chiropractic seems to be making it worse instead of better, stop going.  Most neck and back pain goes away on its own within 6 weeks.  A bad sleeping position is a very common instigator of neck pain.  Take ibupfrofen 400 mg or even 600 mg if it doesn't give you problems, at least a couple of times a day.  Try a hot bath with epsom salts.  Take magnesium in the morning and calcium at night.  Try a new pillow.  When on your side, support your upper arm with a pillow.  Walk for exercise.  Gently stretch.  Get a massage from a physical therapist; you may have muscle knots that need to be worked on with accupressure.  
No offense, but I think chiropractors do more harm than good most of the time. In my own experience, chiropractors were responsible for 2 of my 9 lower back surgeries! Anyway, I believe your symptoms are the result of a herniated disc in your neck. I have one that "acts up" from time to time, and  get the same type of symptoms that you do. If I turn my head a to the left, my right arm hurts, and I get a "pins and needles" effect. Please see your primary care doctor regarding this. You will probably get an MRI. Medications can help you if it doesn't "clear up' on it's own. I think the only way to "cure" this is to have an operation. Hopefully you won't need one of those, and if you do, then not for many, many years! I'm sure your doctor will know how to treat you. This is a common complaint for a primary care doctor. I think it falls under the category of "back pain", as far as diagnosis and treatment goes. Good luck to you. Feel free to send me a private message if this gets  "out of control", and you have any more questions. Take care,
                         shinty