Back & Neck Community
Pain after Discectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain after Discectomy

I had an L5-S1 laminectomy and partial discectomy about a week ago after 2 years of periodic bouts of back pain ranging from mild to severe.  The surgery went fine according to the surgeon.  The only thing I noticed was that the sciatic pain in my right leg was worse post-op than it was before.  The surgeon said it's not uncommon but didn't explain why or how long it would last.  It's now been a week and it hasn't improved.  I notice mostly when trying to roll over in bed.  I've read all these stories of people having immediate relief after surgery and I hope I'm not one of the one's where surgery just made it worse.  Is it just because everything is still inflammed internally?  Am I just being impatient?