Back & Neck Community
Pain after spinal fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain after spinal fusion

I got a spinal fusion from T1-L4 in 1992 for scoliosis and I have pain all the time.  Neck pain and terrible low back pain that shoots down my legs.   Sometimes its tolerable but other times its very severe.   I have degenerative disc disease at L4-S1 and a few disc bulges and herniations.   Im under the impression that the pressure from the bottom of the rods is causing the degenerative disc disease.   Doc wants to perform a lateral lumbar interbody fusion now.   I just dont no what to do - wanted to no if anyone else was having problems are had another surgery after your spinal fusion.   Its so depressing.  
Kim
Hey Kim!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. While degeneration following fusion is a possibility, other causes that may need to be considered include degenerating causing pressure on the nerve roots, inflammation, muscular spasm etc.  A detailed evaluation to identify a primary cause is ideally suggested before considering the management options. I would suggest discussing the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!