Back & Neck Community
Pain at base of skull

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain at base of skull

I am a 47 yo female with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.  I have been having terrible pain at the base of my skull on both sides for several months.  I have been told it is from fibromyalgia.  Along with this pain I have had tingleing and numbness in my ring and little fingers and when I turn my head to the left or lay a certain way in bed I feel like I am going to pass out. I have also had some bad headaches near the top of my head.  When I have had to use a medrol pack for ra inflamation (inflammation) this pain at the base of my skull went away completely while the medrol pack was at the higher side.  Once I tapered and went off it came back but not as bad.  This past weekend the pain escalated to some of the worst pain I have ever experienced and I ended up in the ER.  The ER Doc said the xrays showed arthritis in my neck and that C5 6 and C6 7 had little to no space left.  I have not yet had an MRI as I cannot get into to see my Dr or Rheumy for a couple of weeks.  They gave me another medrol pack which again helped but this time did not take the pain away completely.  My question is, could the pain at the base of my skull have anything to do with the problems in my cervical spine?  I worry that it is being dismissed as fibromyalgia but could be something more serious.

Thank you,
dkirby