Back & Neck Community
Pain in kidney area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain in kidney area

Since this morning I've been having a 'sharp, throbbing' pain every 2 or 3 minutes in the area of my right kidney (in my back, to the right of my spine, on a level with my belly button).  Any idea what this may be?  It's unpleasant but not unbearable - I'm just worried.  Thanks.
You might just be the newest member to the Kidney Stone Club. If it is not unbearable now it will be. If the pain radiates down to your groin that is a pretty good indication of a stone. The pain is from when the stone leaves the kidney and attempts to travel down the VERY small ureter that connects the kidney to the Bladder. I assume you are either in recovery or want to be but this is one of those times its okay for narcotic pain relief, but, there is a drug that is absolutely the best for stones and it is called TORADOL.(not a narcotic)When they are getting you ready with all the I.V's and stuff because they suspect a stone,ask the powers that be that you would like to try Toradol first because you heard it really works well. Number one, they won't think you are a drug seeker. Number two, if the Toradol does not work they will bring out the big guns. I've had several stones and your symptoms are classic, the triage nurses see them so often they know what the person has as soon as the sliding doors shut. Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
Thanks for the advice.  I went to see the doctor and he said the pain was probably muscular.  I was convinced, like you, it was a kidney stone, as the symptoms were so consistent with one, though without the intensity.  Once I'd seen him, the pain subsided!  It didn't come back after the first 24 hours.  So it looks like a false alarm, which I'm glad about having read your warning of what was likely to follow!  But thanks again and best wishes to you.