Back & Neck Community
Pain in left side when looking down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain in left side when looking down

This past week, I started my first chiropractic treatments.  The reason I decided to go the chiro was for my posture and continued neck pain.  After my 2nd visit to the chiro, that night I developed pretty extreme pain in the left lower side of my back.  Told my chiro about it the next day and she said it could be just soreness from the chiro treatment or a kidney issue.  I went to urgent care that night because I coulnd't sit, lay down, fold clothes, ect. due to this pain.  Urgent care doc said I had a UTI - urinary tract infection.  The pain continued in my left side and was especially extreme when I would like down at my shirt or look down to button my jeans.  Went to my gyno on Friday because I thought maybe I did have a kidney issue or something.  He said my urine was fine and said something about potential muscle spasms after the chiro treatment and since my spine is used to being in a certain position all those years ( I am 29), I probably would be sore and to take Flexeril or Motrin for the pain.  I am going to see my chiro tonight but, I just wanted to see if anyone that has gone to a chiro have this problem?  I have never had this much pain before and I definately do not want to continue to see the chiro if this is how my body reacts to the treatment.  Since I have taken the Flexeril, the pain has calmed down and it is now just in my left side when I look down.  I feels almost like a sharp pull in my muscle.  Any thoughts out there?  Thanks so much
I would cancel the chiropractor treatment.

And wait and see if the pain goes away.

If it does then you will have to make a decision to continue chiro or try some other techniques (PT/accupuncture, etc).
A chiro might help.  In some cases chiropractors do help their patients but chiropractic is an alternative type of medicine.  What happens many times is a chiro will see a patient until all of their insurance benefits are gone and then refer them to a specialist.  It kind of makes me feel like the patients are on a factory assembly line...eat up all of their money and then spit them out, fixed or not.  I would recommend seeing a medical professional (specialist) like a Neurologist before seeking the help of a chiro.  If, after a diagnosis is rendered, the patient doesn't want to be treated through medicine or physical therapy, the Neurologist can (and will) refer the patient to an acupuncturist or chiro.  While a chiro can you feel good, many times it is just a temporary fix and sometimes (as in your case) they could make you feel worse.  See a medical professional first.