Back & Neck Community
Pain in my upper back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Pain in my upper back

I have been experiencing horrible pain in my upper back. Mainly in the middle region between my spin and my right shoulder. The pain is a very sharp and burning sensation. It occurs when I attempt to lift any object whether it is above or below a horizontal position parallel to my shoulder. It also happens a partial amount of the time when I rotate my shoulder or even lean forward to attempt to stretch my upper back muscles. I have researched Trapezius muscle problems, but have not found any finite information to make a concrete diagnosis.
leaning forward to stretch your upper back muscles may be precisely the WRONG thing to do. Rhombods and other posterior scapular stabilizing muscles often hurt becasue they are weak and overstretched from having a rounded posture. You may needto do strengthening exercises for these muscles. this is what worked for me. Go to a website by Jolie Bookspan and also do some reading about Upper Crossed Syndrome-- common in computer users. see a website by Erik Dalton for a detailed explanation of this syndrome.
I understand how strengthening exercises can improve the muscle, but the pain is so excruciating that I am unable to conduct any type of physical fitness or muscle strengthening aerobics. What else can you recommend for immidiate improvement.
I would also see an orthopedic specialist to rule ot any rotator cuff tears or joint problems. It would probably be better to do this BEFORE embarking on any stretching/exercise program.
posture posture posture. Go to a wall.stand upper back touching the wall, ankles touching the wall, butt touching the wall. If the back of your head does not touch the wall, you have forward head posture. many people have this issue and never suffer from it. Others suffer severely. Put your head against the wall (now it is balanced over your spine) and stay like that........ forever. It may be uncomfortable and awkward, but if this is indeed your problem you have to undo years and years of bad posture and incorrect muscle memory. You can expect it to be uncomfortable. Trigger point release, myofascial release and deep tissue massage may also help--especially if you do it BEFORE you stretch.. the trick is to stay corrected and dont hunch. You may also want to buy a clavicle retractor which keeps your shoulders back. this helped me alot. Also do door stretches for your pecs and full body extension stretches. If this is your problem, dont get discouraged. I sufferred for almost 3 years, and once I knew wht was wrong and how to fix t it took me almost 6 months of 45 minutes per session 3x per day self-care. But i am pain free now.....
Hello!! Just dropped by and saw your posts..I have the same pain but was lessen when I went to a TMJ,she provided me a splint due to TMJ dysfunction which causes our upper back pain,neck,mine is on the right part..I still have the upper muscle pain but the pain on my shoulder did not recur..I'm using my splint for a week now.You might probably want to try to consult to a TMJ as well..Hope this helps